The 2014 Garden State Tree Conference is coming this March to Atlantic City. For more information on the conference and registration information, please visit the 2014 GSTC webpage.
NJ Arborists - ISA
This is the second year in a row that the NJ Arborists recorded this honor from the TREE Fund. Chapter Challenge totals include chapter sponsorships of TREE Fund special events, funds raised by Tour riders, auction proceeds from items donated by chapters, proceeds from chapter fundraising events and individual and corporate donations to the TREE Fund obtained through the efforts of the chapter. For more information on the TREE Fund, please visit www.treefund.org.
Welcome to the New Jersey Arborists,
Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture
The New Jersey Arborists, Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture, is a statewide professional organization dedicated to fostering a greater appreciation for trees and to promoting research, technology, and the professional practice of arboriculture.
The How's and Why's of Hiring an Arborist
An arborist is a specialist in the care of individual trees. Arborists are knowledgeable about the needs of trees and are trained and equipped to provide proper care. Hiring an arborist is a decision that should not be taken lightly. Proper tree care is an investment that can lead to substantial returns. Well cared-for trees are attractive and can add considerable value to your property. Poorly maintained trees can be a significant liability. Pruning or removing trees, especially large trees, can be dangerous work. Tree work should only be done by those trained and equipped to work safely in trees.
Services that Arborists Can Provide
1. Pruning - The arborist can determine what type of pruning is necessary to maintain or improve the health, appearance, and safety of trees. These techniques include:
2. Removal - Although tree removal is a last resort, there are circumstances when it is necessary. An arborist can help decide whether or not a tree should be removed. Arborists have the skills and equipment to safely and efficiently remove trees. Removal is recommended when the tree:
3. Emergency Tree Care - Storms may cause limbs or entire trees to fall, often landing on homes, cars, other structures, or other trees. The weight of storm-damaged trees is great, and they can be very dangerous to remove or trim. An arborist can assist in performing the job in a safe manner, while reducing further risk of damage to your property.
4. Planting - Some arborists plant trees and most can recommend what types of trees are appropriate for a specific location. The wrong tree in the wrong location could lead to future problems due to limited growing space, insects, diseases, or poor growth.
5. Other Services - Many arborists also provide a variety of other tree care services including:
Selecting the Right Arborist for the Job
There are a variety of things to consider when selecting an arborist including:
What Is an ISA Certified Arborist?
An arborist by definition is an individual who is trained in the art and science of planting, caring for, and maintaining individual trees. ISA Arborist Certification is a non-governmental, voluntary process by which individuals can document their expertise and knowledge. It is an internal, self-regulating device administered by the International Society of Arboriculture. Certification provides a measurable assessment of an individual's knowledge and competence required to provide proper tree care, but cannot guarantee performance. ISA Certified Arborists are individuals who have achieved a level of knowledge in the art and science of tree care through experience and passing a comprehensive examination developed by some of the nation's leading experts on tree care. ISA Certified Arborists must also continue their education to maintain their certification.
To find an ISA Certified Arborist in your area, click on the following link:
Be an Informed Consumer
One of the best methods to use in choosing an arborist is to educate yourself on some of the basic principles of tree care. ISA offers several other brochures in this series, which discuss many of the basic principles of tree care. Please visit the ISA's webiste for a complete list of educational brochures: